Sunday, October 26, 2008

Tester expertize

For each new feature , make sure the QA (quality assurance) team gets all the info/training material as the developer does.

If the tester learns what to test from the original developer , the testing level will be very poor , and will only verify that what the developer already knows.

Anecdote regarding this:


On of my first jobs, I was responsible of an old feature which someone else (which is long gone) wrote. The tester did not know the feature and asked me , the responsible developer , what does this feature do.

After asking around and understanding that no one around knew this feature, I had to dwell into the code and describe what the code does.

The tester happily wrote it down and then went back to his office and started testing it.

Anyone see`s the problem here?

The tester tested my understanding of the code and not what the feature should do. He found a bug and showed it to me. I then realized I failed to read what the code does in a corner case. Both he and I did not know whether the actual code behavior was ok or not , and we ended up telling that I was wrong understaning the code , not that the code has a bug.









No comments: